M-PVA Magnetic Beads
chemagen started its business with the development, functionalisation and production of magnetic particles based on polyvinyl alcohol. We call them M-PVA Magnetic Beads. They represent a new class of particles and allow applications in nearly every scientific or industrial field.
The surfaces of the M-PVA Magnetic Beads can be functionalized with many different groups and modified with individually tunable loadings. The figure on the left side shows a selection of functionalized, activated and "Ready-to-Use" M-PVA Magnetic Beads offered by chemagen as standard.
The potential of these functionalizations enables extensive and simple modifications with regard to any separation problem. The following listings and the related pages should give an overview about the possibilities.
If you are looking for magnetic particles with a specification not listed below, please contact us.
In the following, some possible fields of application for M-PVA Magnetic Beads are given especially in molecular biology and biochemistry:isolation of nucleic acids, e.g. for subsequent analysis
- detection or isolation of specific sequences or kinds of nucleic acids e.g. mRNA
- preparation of molecule libraries (e.g. oligonucleotides, DNA, RNA or proteins, but also libraries with smaller molecules) by use of combinatorial strategies
- screening and selection of libraries
- affinity purification of proteins (e.g. antibodies, lectins)
About 80% of the carrier media established in the market of magnetic separation is based on hydrophobic polymers such as polystyrene. M-PVA Magnetic Beads have properties that favor them for any separation process.
Outstanding properties of M-PVA Magnetic Beads
- high magnetite content (enables fast magnetic separation, even from large volumes)
- monodisperse particles (enable a uniform reproducibility of magnetic separation)
- individually tunable sizes of the beads (µm sized beads present a high active surface per volume and allows adaptation to specific applications)
- mechanical robustness (allows different kind of processing and facilitates automated use)
- chemical functionality of the matrix, which can be used for the most different modifications (results in high binding capacity)
- hydrophilicity of the PVA surface (results in low unspecific protein binding)
- high thermal stability (enables easy sterilization by autoclaving)
chemagen’s proprietary M-PVA Magnetic Beads (Fig. above) consists of nanometer sized magnetite particles (shown as little brown rocks) encapsulated in a matrix of cross linked polyvinyl alcohol (illustrated as grey polymer chains; cross linker are described as red lines between those chains).
All products listed are for research use only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.
US: For laboratory use only. Not intended for use in diagnostic procedures.